Thursday, 3 November 2011

Hem of His Garment

Believing has never been something I have had in my life.
Believing is not a question I want or need to answer.

I want to write down a story that is not mine to tell but I need to write it down.

Yesterday my dad told me of his experience several years ago and I cant get it out of my head. It was when Euan fell down the mountain.

Firstly here are the lyrics that were stuck in dads head after he heard a song played on the radio. The song is by Sam Cooke it is very old. (You tube it)

"Oh, there was a woman in the Bible days,
she had been sick, sick so very long
but she heard about Jesus was passing by,
so she joined the gathering throng
and while she was pushing her way through,
someone ask her: 'What are you trying to do?'

She said:
'if I could just touch the hem of His garment
I know I'll be made whole'

She cried:
'Oh Lord, Oh Lord and Oh Lord, Oh Lord'
Said :
'if I could just touch the hem of His garment
I know I'll be made whole'

Oh, She spent her money here and there
until she had no, had no more to spare,
the doctors, they'd done all they could
but their medicine would do no good.
When she touched Him The Saviour didn't see
but still He turned around and cried
'Somebody touched me'

She said:
'It was I who just wanna touch the hem of Your garment,
I know I'll be made whole right now'

She stood there crying:
'Oh Lord, Oh Lord and Oh Lord, Oh Lord'

Said:
'If I could just touch the hem of His garment,
I know I'll made whole right now'"

At the time that dad heard this song on the radio my brother was in the ICU at Nepean Hospital after falling from a cliff. He was in a coma and sustained a massive head injury. He was flown from the accident in a care flight helicopter.

My dad was not a church goer nor a christian.

He told my mum on the same day he heard the song on the radio that he was going to church as he just had to go there. My mum asked if it was the nearest church (St Michael's) and he said no, he was off to the little one in Castle Hill. My mum did not question it she went along.

As they sat in church the priests sermon this day was as the above lyrics. My dad could not believe it.
The song he heard on the radio was the topic of the church service!

He stayed behind afterwards and spoke to the priest. He introduced himself as Colin Dunlop and the priest interrupted him and asked if he was Euan Dunlops father, the young man in hospital. My dad was shocked and said he was. The priest stumbled and spoke of his congregation, whom had concentrated their prayers on this young man "Euan Dunlop" for several weeks since the accident.
The priest gathered the church elders and introduced them all to my parents. They all  new about Euan and were praying for him together.

He hugged my dad and asked if he would come back to church next week and my dad told him probably not.
The priest told dad that dad had been sent to the church to let the congregation know that there prayers had been answered and if he did not come back it did not matter. God had answered their prayers.

My dad told me of this story only yesterday several years after the fact. He told me that this is only one of his experiences and he believes that there has to be something out there.

I am so moved by this story and am praying for Zali

So many of your people are silently supporting your family.


Matt your poems/lyrics touch my heart and I adore you for sharing them.

I am no churchy, but it is what it is

we all love you guys, if you need anything please call.

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment